a child support agreement form next to a gavelDivorce, while painful and life-changing, is a reality that a lot of families face all the time. And when it involves children, the process becomes even more complicated because you need to address the issues of who gets custody and the amount of child support.

Settling the financial requirements of kids need not be stressful. A child support lawyer in Denver can make the process much easier for you and your spouse. Ultimately, it’s your kids who will reap the benefits.

The state of Colorado has child support statutes that make sure children receive enough financial and emotional support from both parents as if they are still living together as a family. But if you’re wary of the other ex-spouse suddenly demanding additional parent time if you ask for child support, should you still do it?

You might want to consider the following facts to arrive at a decision.

Financial support is your child’s inherent right

And it should come from both parents, whether they want it or not. Additionally, the other parent recognizing the child as his or hers will help get your child Social Security benefits and even healthcare through the employer of your ex-spouse.

Can you support your child on your own?

The answer may be yes now, but the future is never set in stone. Expenses will continue to mount as your child grows, from medical and dental care to his education and other miscellaneous needs.

Your child’s needs should come first, and worries that your ex-spouse will demand more parental rights such as visitation are things that you should set aside.

After all, with or without giving child support, the other parent still can assert his or her inherent right to their kids even if they’re not living with them anymore.

What are your state’s child custody laws?

Knowing what your state says about child custody should put your mind at ease, especially if indeed your former partner threatens to file shared custody if he or she provides child support, which, in Colorado, includes childcare expenses, travel expenses, educational expenses, and health insurance coverage.

These should be provided until the child turns 19, 21 if they still attend high school, or indefinitely if they couldn’t support themselves because of physical or mental disability.

Once you have considered these and got enough advice from experts, you still may not be ready to file for child support because you just don’t want to face your ex-spouse just yet, and that’s okay. You can always deal with this at a later time or when the need arises.

Just knowing you have something to fall back on in the future can be a reassuring thing.

Spread the love